Sunday, 13 November 2016

Been A Busy Creative Year So Far

Hi All, I can't believe it is almost the middle of November already,and the year has flown by so fast this year.It has been a very busy and creative year so far and in my first post I will be posting just some of the many crazy quilting projects that I have made so far this year.In the next few posts I will be posting other quilting projects that I have also worked on this year.
This past spring I got to participate in the Extended Seam Challenge on Crazy Quilt International along with submit and entry for the Special Holiday Issue of Crazy Quilt Quarterly Magazine.
Even though I didn't win the seam challenge I was very happy with the way my entry turned out.The seam treatment is one that I designed out and used in one of the blocks that I've worked on for Kathy Shaw's Crazy Quilt Classes.
My entry that I made and was recently published in the Holiday Issue of Crazy Quilt Quarterly Magazine was one of my own crazy quilt block designs.The block itself was 8 1/2 square and I turned it into a finished pillow that measures aprox 14'' square.The details and techniques I did on the block really took me out of my comfort zone and I'm relatively new to crazy quilting. My favorite aspects of the block are the detail work on did on the santa image in the center and the bead embroidery.Below are the closeup pictures of the block and a picture of the finished pillow.The Special Holiday Issue of Crazy Quilt Quarterly Magazine is also now available off of Magcloud. To order your copy of the issue please visit http://www.magcloud.com/browse/issue/1122231

In June, I was lucky enough to participate in the Crazy Quilt International Summer Challenge 2016.The theme for the challenge was a Crazy Quilted Heart which the template and pattern was provided by Wilma Van Wagensveld.For my entry I decided to do mine as a love of sailing, and turn it into a pillow.A few weeks before I began my entry for the challenge, my family and I got to go out on our boat and watch one of the many races in our annual Long Island Sailing Regatta.While I was out there I got to take some nice pictures of the boats that we in the race.One of my favorite photos that I took was one that had 3 of my favorite boats that race in it, the Running Tide and Rough Justice from Long Island and The New Courageous from Ragged Island. I decided to use that picture as the center silkie image for the pillow. Once I sized the picture down and print it onto a good quality cotton fabric, I was able to sew and put the block together.For my embroidery work on the block I decided to continue the nautical idea and embroider sailing boats and other things that fit the idea along with adding seam treatments that framed the block nicely.I'm really happy with the way my entry turned out and it wound up placing 4th in the Beginner category.Happy Quilting.Hugs Katie






No comments:

Post a Comment